BOOK REVIEW: Firefly Rain by Richard Dansky ★★★☆☆


After a business bust in Boston, the protagonist Jacob Logan reluctantly returns home to North Carolina. He stays at the house he grew up and his parents’ grave is at the back. Although it should feel like home, it’s far from that. It’s spooky and doesn’t make a lot of sense.
First, upon Jacob’s arrival, his belongings go missing in a highway accident. Then his car is stolen from his driveway, without making a sound. The townspeople seem suspicious and the caretaker Carl has many secrets and is not so warming to Jacob. Apart from the old house creaking, and the feeling of being watched, the fireflies that lit the night sky end up dead near his house.
Something isn’t right and someone won’t let him leave town.

Yes, the blurb got me hooked. As the reader want to know what and why whatever it is, is after Jacob. And after reading it, figuring it all out I was just staring at the page, thinking ‘what did I just read.’ I had over the top predictions about what it could it be, and in the end, it was eerie.

I can’t say that this book reads like a Stephan King novel because I’ve only read one of his novels Carrie and none of Pat Conroy’s work so I’m at a disadvantage to judge the praises for Firefly Rain.

But let me talk about what I actually like about Firefly Rain. Despite the fact it’s in the first person (I usually don’t like this narrative) from Jacob’s point of view, it is a well-written book. I prefer the style of writing because there’s a good balance of description and dialogue. I hate over the top description in some novels because it drags on and I forget the point the author is trying to make.

As a writer, Dansky has taken the advice about writing your location. He lives in North Carolina and so the novel is in the same setting. I think he’s done a great job at capturing the hot weather, the ambience and nature, much like how I like the way Darragh McManus captured the Irish scenery in Shiver the Whole Night Through. The overall mood I got from this novel - it’s eerie and gritty. Some chapters felt as if nothing much happens and in others, it gets a bit intense. Probably halfway through the story, Jacob chases his stolen car up and down a dirt road because he’s convinced someone is driving it. Then exhaustion hits him. He collapses in the ditch, with only a robe on and his slippers, in the rain.

Dansky created some good character step up, with regards to the main and side characters. Sometimes in novels, the minor characters outshine the main ones. The secondary characters, Jacob’s friend Jenna, and supposedly love interest, the librarian Adrienne seemed flat to me, and in a good way. The story is about Jacob, his parent’s house, the town and the cold-shouldered Carl, who harbours a dislike to Jacob.

One of my favourite characters has to be Officer Hanratty. She’s sassy and I like sassy, but I don’t understand what her role was in the secrecy? There’s this build up to her mysterious character, and Jacob does his own investigation, (hence he meets Adrienne) on Hanratty, but then it fizzles out. I don’t know, maybe I missed something.

I think what slightly annoyed me, but could look over, is the title. I’m not sure about it because I feel like it wasn’t chosen wisely and not really catchy. I get the firefly part, but the rain? Is it pointing out the literal rain, or how the fireflies just die on his land, coming down like rain? I just think the title could have been better.

When it came to the climax, the secrecy as to why the town (actually it’s just three to four people) didn’t want Jacob to leave, I felt a bit deflated. Ok, not what I was expecting but I wasn’t exactly wowed about it (apart from the deranged dog Asa because that a ‘oh shit’ moment). I was more like ‘oh.... OK... I get it... but really?’

Would I recommend this book? I guess I wouldn’t go about calling it a King or a Conroy novel, but I think as far as style goes; yes I enjoyed it because I like the balance of description and dialogue. The rating wavers between 3 and 4. It’s not a bad book, but it’s not a book I’ll read again. It’s just my opinion. I’m sure others would appreciate it more.

Rating 3.5/5
Publishers: Gallery Books
First Published: January 1st 2008
Second Publication Date: April 6th 2010
Genre: Horror/ Paranormal/ Mystery

Comments

Honourable Top 3 Mentions From Each Year

2023

The African Samurai by Craig Shreve

Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

2022

The Deathless Girls by Kiran Millwood Hargrave

The Conqueror's Saga #3 Bright We Burn by Kiersten White

This Thing of Darkness (From BBC Radio 4 drama) Written by Lucia Haynes with monologues by Eileen Horne

2021

Horror Stories by E. Nesbit

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. read by Wil Wheaton

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco, read by Nicola Barber

2020

Declutter: The get-real guide to creating calm from chaos by Debora Robertson

Difficult Women by Roxane Gay

BBC Radio production of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy

2019

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Malevolent (Shay Archer series) by Jana Deleon

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite (narrated by Adepero Oduye)

2018

The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

As Old As Time by Liz Braswell

2017

Harry Potter Series (Books 1 to 7) by J.K.Rowling

This House is Haunted by John Boyne

Born A Crime by Trevor Noah

2016

These Shallow Graves By Jennifer Donnelly

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

2015

Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer

True Grit by Charles Portis

The Holy Woman By Qasira Shahraz

Latif's Read Book Montage

The Wolves of Winter
The Prophet
We Are Displaced: My Journey and Stories from Refugee Girls Around the World
Burial Rites
My Sister, the Serial Killer
Rules for Dating a Romantic Hero
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 3: Crushed
In Other Rooms, Other Wonders
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why
Seth MacFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West: A Novel
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal
The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Crimes by Moonlight
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
Embroideries
Practical Magic
The House With a Clock in Its Walls
The Legend of Keane O'Leary
A Little History of the World