BOOK REVIEW: 21 Proms by David Levithan ★★☆☆☆


I have a confession. I never went to my prom. I know SHOCK SHOCK HORROR! I was asked by a guy. My intuition told me he was probably dared to ask me by some arseholes. Not falling for that trap I declined him. Under a minute, he asked someone else. If I went back time my answer would still be no. I don’t regret going to my prom, but I do wonder what I’d be doing there? Would I wait for a guy to ask me for a dance or would I dance like I just don’t care?

So yep that’s why I got this book out from the library. Despite its low ratings, I’ve heard of some the YA authors so why not give it a go.



You Are a Prom Queen, Dance Dance Dance by Elizabeth Craft
Rating: 3/5


The first story in the anthology gives a taste to what the other stories have to offer. This one wasn’t all that bad, but it wasn’t my favourite. From the first-person narrative, Ayla is negative about everything; from her dress to the actual prom night. She likes to build walls and not get involved with anything, until her date, nice guy Adam Edwardson brings her out of her shell.

All She Wants by Cecily Von Ziegesar
Rating: 2/5

Technically this story wasn’t set at a prom. I found this one annoying. The MC Brooke is left at home and basically stalks the boy in her flat. Plus she’s totally obsessed with 80’s actress Molly Ringwald. She thinks her life is a movie like Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club.

In Vodka Veritas by Holly Black
Rating: 2/5

WTAF is happening in this story! It’s just an excuse for teens to have a massive orgy on prom night. A group of students and a teacher spike the punch bowl at prom. Whilst everyone gets naked the cult take pictures and use it for blackmail. Honestly, I found this discomforting to read.

Your Big Night by Sarah Mlynowski
Rating: 3/5

The second person narrative is weird but somehow it works for this story. The MC wants to make her ex-boyfriend jealous as he broke up with her for someone hotter. She tries to find a male date but refuses to go with her best friends Kyra and Jen. Not my favourite but better than the previous ones.

Off Like a Prom Dress by Billy Merrell
Rating: 4/5

Yeah, I like it when there’s a poem! This poem is about a girl finding the right dress and dreaming of her happy prom night. I liked this one.

"Mom Called, she says you have to go to prom" by Adrienne Maria Vrettos
Rating: 4/5

Oh, I like this one because of the strong message - you don’t have to be popular or have a date to go to prom. Like this strong MC, she danced the crap out of that song and didn’t give a shit about what people think of her. Kudos to the MC for not chickening out and going to prom. Unlike the rest so far, this story had a plot and developed characters. Vrettos, you better make this into an actual book!

Better Be Good to Me by Daniel Ehrenhaft
Rating: 5/5

It’s about a dad telling his daughter about how he met his wife and lost his virginity at prom in 1986. I love this one because the plot and writing style is hilarious. Ehrenhaft, can this be a book already?!

Three Fates - Aimee Friendman
Rating: 4/5

It’s about a girl who can’t seem to get a date. Of course, fate has something in store for her. It’s a good story and the climax was indeed a LOL moment. I think this was probably written at a time when MySpace was popular (2007). Who uses that in 2015?

The Question: A Play in One Act by Brett Hartinger
Rating: 3.5

Allen bugs Eric to ask Brittany to the prom. There’s some sexual tension between the two. Do guy friends willingly teach their male friends how to dance and kiss? I was going to give this a lower star but I perked that up because of the format. It’s been a while since I read a screenplay and I haven’t come across any in an anthology.

Shutter by Will Leitch
Rating: 3.5/5

A single father waits for his daughter’s prom date. He figures out how his girl isn’t his little girl anymore. Nothing more to it really and the writing was ok.

Geechee Girls Dancin’ 1955 by Jacqueline Woodson
Rating: 1/5

I mean no disrespect, but I couldn’t get into this one. I’m sure it was about a prom.

How I Wrote to Today by E. Lockhart
Rating: 2/5

Paige decides not to go to prom. Nothing more to it apart from a tragic back story which I found unnecessary for a short story.

A Six-pack of Bud, a Fifth of Whiskey, and Me by Melissa de la Cruz
Rating: 2/5

It’s mandatory for Melissa to go to prom. Some rich popular kids fix her up with Patrick who ignores her throughout the evening and pukes on her dress. What’s worse she’s super happy about the evening. I mean gosh her evening was terrible! I liked the writing but I didn’t like the story.

Primate the Prom by Libba Bray
Rating: 3/5

This one was kinda messed up. Ryan is dating an actual male Gorilla. Apparently, its taboo and Ryan wants to make a statement. The only funny line was on page 197 when his father shouts, “No son of mine is going to be a Gorilla Lover!” I like the style of writing but I got this vibe that Bray is perhaps mocking homosexuals.

Apology #1 by Ned Vizzini
Rating: 3/5

Ned gets asked to three proms. He chickens out (inappropriate dress code) when he’s about to attend Sarah’s prom, a girl who admires his writing. Basically, he’s a right dick to stand her up. It’s an apology letter.

See Me by Lisa Ann Sandell
Rating: 2.5/5

Hopeless Katie wants to be asked to the prom. Unsuccessful in her endeavour she decides to get ready and go to the local café where she performs her song. I think it was teen drama like and she just whined about not getting asked. But I do admire that she does her own thing in the end.

Prom for Fat Girls by Rahel Cohn
Rating: 2/5

I wanted to like this one but the writing was difficult to follow. There must have been a really good message behind this but who knows?

Chicken by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Rating: 1/5

It’s about a pet chicken on prom night. I didn’t get the point of this one. Eleven pages wasted.

The Backup Date by Leslie Margolis
Rating: 4/5

Yes! Got my south Asian people in this one. Diversity. Check. Jasmine is in denial. She actually wants to go to prom but makes it out as if she doesn’t. Plus she gets really drunk and pukes on her date. Nice! What more do you want from prom night?

Lost Sometimes by David Levithan
Rating: 1/5

I just don’t even know where to begin. There was no plot, only that fact that a gay couple just want to have sex. And boy do they have sex. It was a "how many places my boyfriend and I had sex" retelling. But Eric just wants to celebrate prom properly. I just... it was gross, raunchy and had no purpose.

The Great American Morp by John Green
Rating: 4/5

Maggie and Carly decide to make their own prom. I liked the idea of a Morp. This should be a thing! Morp needs to happen! It had great characters and a good storyline. I like that this story wrapped up the anthology.

Summary
There are probably 6 out of 21 stories I actually liked. The rest was a right waste. I couldn’t get into it. It’s not the best anthology I’ve read and I only recommend a few items but yeah don’t waste your time on this one. I’m sure there are better prom stories out there. Apart from that, I enjoyed reading the author’s mini bio and their prom stories.

Rating 2.5/5 Stars
Publishers: Scholastic
Publication Date: First Published March 1st 2007
Genre: YA/Anthology/Romance/Short Story

Comments

Honourable Top 3 Mentions From Each Year

2023

The African Samurai by Craig Shreve

Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

2022

The Deathless Girls by Kiran Millwood Hargrave

The Conqueror's Saga #3 Bright We Burn by Kiersten White

This Thing of Darkness (From BBC Radio 4 drama) Written by Lucia Haynes with monologues by Eileen Horne

2021

Horror Stories by E. Nesbit

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. read by Wil Wheaton

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco, read by Nicola Barber

2020

Declutter: The get-real guide to creating calm from chaos by Debora Robertson

Difficult Women by Roxane Gay

BBC Radio production of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy

2019

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Malevolent (Shay Archer series) by Jana Deleon

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite (narrated by Adepero Oduye)

2018

The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

As Old As Time by Liz Braswell

2017

Harry Potter Series (Books 1 to 7) by J.K.Rowling

This House is Haunted by John Boyne

Born A Crime by Trevor Noah

2016

These Shallow Graves By Jennifer Donnelly

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

2015

Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer

True Grit by Charles Portis

The Holy Woman By Qasira Shahraz

Latif's Read Book Montage

The Wolves of Winter
The Prophet
We Are Displaced: My Journey and Stories from Refugee Girls Around the World
Burial Rites
My Sister, the Serial Killer
Rules for Dating a Romantic Hero
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 3: Crushed
In Other Rooms, Other Wonders
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why
Seth MacFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West: A Novel
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal
The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Crimes by Moonlight
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
Embroideries
Practical Magic
The House With a Clock in Its Walls
The Legend of Keane O'Leary
A Little History of the World